Chance to live on Auskerry
YOUR CHANCE TO LIVE ON A REMOTE SCOTTISH ISLAND
Do you have a sense of adventure and crave a different pace of life? If so, a beautiful remote island in Orkney surrounded by diverse wildlife, beautiful views and open sea could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
The family who live on the island of Auskerry are offering the chance for a couple to join them from Spring to the end of Autumn 2024 to volunteer with the day-to-day running of their 250 acre farm.
Teresa and Simon have lived on the island for over 40 years, running a wool business as well as bringing up their three boys who have now all left home.
COULD THIS BE RIGHT FOR YOU?
The work on the island can be anything from rounding up and hand-shearing the island’s rare flock of seaweed-eating sheep, to cutting peat as fuel for the fire. Farming experience is not required, but practical skills and a willingness to get stuck in and help with a range of projects is a must.
Qualities you will need:
- Resourcefulness in finding practical solutions to problems
- Willingness to learn new skills in DIY, maintenance and farming
- Love of the outdoors and interest in wildlife
- Self sufficiency for entertainment: a love of reading, radio, writing, or creative pursuit
- A passion for stripped-back living with few ‘mod cons’ Interest in creativity of all kinds
- Interest in working with wool, cooking or gardening
- A sense of humour!
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re interested in coming to Auskerry from Spring to Autumn 2024, we want to get to know you. Please answer the following questions, using no more than 200 words for each.
Submit your answers by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your contact details so we can be in touch.
- Why are you interested in this opportunity?
- Which aspects of island life are you most interested in and why?
- Tell us about any relevant skills you may have?
- Are you able to commit to relocating to Auskerry for an extended period of time?
We look forward to hearing from you!